Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Season 1 Rerun: The Ball Is In Your Court Episode

At a time when Chris Webber was the top draft pick for the Orlando Magic, when the Houston Rockets went head to head against the New York Knicks, and just a year after NBA Legend MichaelJordan announced his retirement from basketball, another star was born.
The 1994 NBA Finals Houston Rockets v.s. New York Knicks

                On Jan. 7, 1994 Jeff and Wanda  Stephens welcomed their little bundle of joy, who would grow to become a "true" champion in their household. The youngest of four, Edward Stephens is a family man whose drive and motivation stems from his deep Southern roots in Fayetteville, N.C. 
A young star is born
Basketball has always been a family tradition in the Stephen’s household. Jeff, Ed’s father,at one point in life was able to try-out for the Detroit Pistons.  As his lover of the game, he instilled the drive, passion, and skills of life and basketball into his son.

Ed was raised in a middle-class environment where his mother worked for an insurance company and his father a chemical plant."The ball is in your court son," a quote often said by his mother is what Ed continues to live by. The first in his family to attend college, Ed “The Truth” as some call him, has managed to keep control of the ball in his court. Throughout life he has gained skills on and off of the court that has awarded him the opportunity to choose between many colleges and universities. 

Standing six-feet-one while as a senior in high school, the ambitious 18-year-old had opportunities knocking at his front door. 

After declining offers from ClemsonCoastal Carolina, and Fayetteville State University, the star took his free throw shot and became a part of the Bulldog family at the illustrious South Carolina State University.


It was the South Carolina State Bulldogs family environment that made him chose to call SC State home, "everyone here treats me like family," says the guard, "they really came out talked to my family, my mom and sister, I felt like they really wanted me here to be apart of their family."

After visiting the campus during its Homecoming week, Ed knew that SC State was truly where he wanted to be. "I came here during Homecoming week, loved the environment and had a blast with what felt like my new family."

After the passing of his father at the tender age of thirteen Ed continues to carry everything his father ever taught him close to heart as he is in his third year studying Broadcasting in the Bulldog County.

The scholar has aspirations of becoming a professional basketball player overseas or a sports analysis which came about after his sister put the bug in his ear reminding him "you have a great face for television, and you're really good with numbers." 

Ed also aspires to follow in the footsteps of Steven A. Smith as he is factual with being able to debate about sports "I think I'm very good with debating people about different sports teams and I always make valid points with the facts that I have. I feel like I can win with any topic involving sports" he says chuckling. 
Ed and teammates at WSSB Radio Station at SC State University 
A freshman on the court, Ed has gained may accolades while remaining the humble southern charmer that he is. Student Athlete of the Year, MEAC Rookie of the Year, and Freshman of the Year, are just a few reasons why some say Stephens is the real MVP.
Ed stands with his many awards and trophies on campus at SC State University 
                                                        
Currently, with outstanding academics, prestigious awards, and contracts already drafted for him once he graduates, the Carolina boy remains humble and focused on his dreams and passion. When asked what song currently describes his life, Stephens replied "Blow Up" by Fayetteville's very own J. Cole. 
Ed autographs basketballs for Orangeburg Youth

"When I first came to campus I had to sit out and no one really knew anything about me, then I began to play that song before every game. Eventually, after seeing my skills on the court everyone began to know who I was, on campus, the conferences, different teams, people would write me on social media and congratulate me on my accomplishments, therefore that song really describes me because I feel like I blew up!" 
SCSU Guard: Edward Stephens

Edward Stephens is a name to remember and SC State is where he has started his blueprint for success. 
To watch his highlights please visit his YouTube channel or follow him on Instagram.
Ed lives up to his nickname "The Truth" as he is passionate on the court, continues to remain humble, and has not changed after his "blow up" of successes. 
With the ball remaining in his court, Ed continues to guard his passion, while he blocks out negativity, dribbles through life obstacles one step at a time, and takes his one and only shot at the life God gave him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Schoolin Life

Mini Story y'all ready? So last week was pretty busy, I tried to balance school and work while supporting events with family and f...